Air compressor in this budget may sound crazy. Because a fully functional professional grade air compressor may cost you no less than 10 thousand dollars. But you do not need the large ones to get away with the household tasks. Check out our post on best air compressor reviews to get an idea of what size air compressor you need.
Speaking of cheap air compressors, they’re not always as bad as you think. You can still get an outstanding performance from each of the air compressors that we chose. Here are our top 5 picks for the best air compressor under 200 dollars:
Table Of Content:
Running out of time? Check out the contents of this post and jump to the information you need:
- 5 Best Air Compressor Under 200 Reviews 2020
- How Air Compressor Works In 2020
- Why Should You Buy An Air Compressor Under 200?
- What To Consider Before Buying An Air Compressor Under 200?
Check out the comparison chart to quickly choose the best product for yourself
California Air Tools 8010 Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free 1.0 hp Steel Tank Air Compressor, 8 gal, Silver
DEWALT Pancake Air Compressor, 6 Gallon, 165 PSI
Senco PC1010 1-Horsepower Peak, 1/2 hp running 1-Gallon Compressor
BOSTITCH Air Compressor for Trim, Oil-Free, High-Output, 1.2 Gallon, 120 PSI
PORTER-CABLE C2002 Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor
5 Best Air Compressor Under 200 Reviews 2020
1. California Air Tools Steel Tank Air Compressor
This air compressor is indeed a great one if you’re looking for something quiet for your house. The ultra quiet feature of this air compressor certainly impressed us with super low noise. Its noise level is only 60 decibel which is twice as low as any other air compressors.
Despite having an inexpensive price range, the specifications are quite high end. It has a low amp draw, which is only 8.5 amps. So your tank gets full just within 165 seconds. It is indeed overwhelming considering its tank size 8 gallons. The oil free pump doesn’t need to change the oil. So the product is quite low maintenance too.
This air compressor also has some interesting features in the motor. Up to 2 HP capacity of the motor certainly proves how efficient it is. It has a tank pressure of 120 PSI max. and two preset options of 3 CFM at 40 PSI along with 2.20 CFM at 90 PSI make it quite capable to use high efficiency nail guns. Besides, you can use it for wood works. It is perfect for spray painting too. So it is quite a great product to purchase.
California Air Features:
- Large tank size with 8 gallons capacity, so runs for a long time at one go.
- Fast recovery, fills up the tank just within 2 minutes. So you can finish your work earlier.
- Wide range pressure settings with 3 CFM at 40 PSI & 2.20 CFM at 90 PSI
- 120 PSI highest pressure to fill tanks with a large volume of air. Hence, yields more efficiency.
- Up to 2 HP motor capacity. Therefore, the air compressor is more efficient
- Added portability feature with wheels. So you can easily transfer the compressor here and there.
- Lightweight design, only 48 lbs in weight. So you can lift it up and even carry it easily.
- Low noise level, only 60 decibels. Perfect for your home even if you do not have a sound proof garage.
- Oil free pump to avoid changing the oil frequently. So you do not have to go through all the hassles of changing the oil again and again.
2. DEWALT Pancake Air Compressor
The DEWALT Pancake Air Compressor is another favorite choice of us. With a whopping max pressure of 165 PSI, filling up the tank is a matter of just a few seconds. Also, the two preset pressure settings of 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI & 3.7 SCFM at 40 PSI makes it quite an ideal product to buy.
This air compressor has a high efficiency motor too to make your work a breeze. It starts up even in the cold weather pretty easily and also easy to use. Despite being a little noisy than the others, this air compressor makes it up with its performance.
Another plus point of this air compressor is, it has a high flow regulator and couples. So it elevates the air tool performance to the maximum. Besides, the product is quite lightweight. So you can carry this product from one place to another. Overall, this one is another impressive product within a budget range.
- 165 max PSI tank pressure. So you can inflate a lot of air into the tank to use afterwards.
- Large tank size with 6 gallons capacity, which is more than enough to provide high efficiency.
- Easy start up motor runs smoothly even in the coldest weather. So you do not have to struggle running the machine in cold weather.
- High flow regulator & couplers for maximum performance. So you can get the solid performance you’re expecting.
- Lightweight and compact design with just 48 lbs of weight. This is great for carrying the compressor without the help of others.
3. Senco PC1010 1 Gallon Air Compressor
This product is ideal for those who need an air compressor for household tasks. Compact design and lightweight feature make this product a great choice for personal use. The performance is also super impressive considering its price.
This product has a super efficient motor that can provide some incredible work. The motor has a capacity of 1 HP at peak and half HP on running. So you can expect a pretty solid performance from this product. It can deliver up to 40 drives per minute. So this one is quite a beast for multi tasking like a pro.
The best part of this air compressor is, it’s only 20 pounds in weight. So carrying this air compressor to the work sites is literally effortless. Oil free motor and high pressure fill up makes this product as great as an expensive air compressor.
Senco PC1010 Features:
- Surprisingly lightweight, only 20 pounds in weight. So you do not need someone’s help to load it into your vehicle.
- Compact design to help it carry anywhere. Use it up at home or at your job site.
- Efficient motor peak at 1 HP and running at .5 HP. Which is more than enough to work for small household projects.
- Up to 120 PSI max pressure. It can insert just enough air to supply the air tool.
- Oil free motor to avoid oil changing hassle. That way you do not have to buy oil to change it.
- Easy maintenance. Its simple mechanism is quite accessible to even the inexperienced ones.
- Delivers up to 40 drives per minute. So you can finish your task quite fast.
- Ultra quiet and noise free. Perfect for using it at the garage even if it’s not sound proof.
4. BOSTITCH Air Compressor For Trim
The BOSTITCH Air Compressor is another eligible product for home use. If you need an air compressor for inflating tires and pool toys, you are probably looking for this product. Although its diversity doesn’t end here. This product also comes handy for pin nailers and spray painting job.
The efficient motor has a high capacity of 2 HP at peak and 1.5 HP at running. Which is quite mesmerizing considering its price. Also, this product starts pretty easily without tripping the circuit breaker. So you can surely expect a solid performance from this product without any interference.
This air compressor is quite a charmer for its high output oil free pump. Because it can deliver up to 120 PSI max operating pressure to fill up the tank within a few seconds. The preset setting of 2.8 CFM at 90 PSI delivers pretty great performance for nailing guns. Besides, its built in control panel and roll cage protect it from any job site damage. The other features of this product are—
- Efficient motor of 2 HP at peak and 1.5 HP while running. Which is super impressive considering its price range.
- Easy start without sparking the circuit breaker. So no chances of creating a spark or fusing the circuit. You do not need additional wiring to install this product.
- LED on/ off switch indicates if the machine is on to eliminate any low pressure misfire
- Built in control panel and roll cage protect it from any damage
- Highest tank pressure up to 120 PSI, which is more than enough to provide solid pressure into the air tool
- Lightweight and easy to carry. You can carry it anywhere you want.
- Great for household use. If you’re a DIY freak, this product is perfect for you.
5. PORTER CABLE UMC Pancake Air Compressor
The porter cable pancake air compressor is our another top pick for the Best Air Compressor Under 200. It comes in a vibrant red color which is quite elegant looking for your home. Also, the compact design makes it suitable for personal use.
This pancake style air compressor has a six gallons tank size. A maximum tank pressure of 150 PSI can provide more air to run the tools for a long time. On the other hand, 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI and 3.7 SCFM at 40 PSI helps to fill up the tank pretty rapidly. Two factory installed, regulated air couplers allow two users at a time. So you can finish your work a lot faster than expected.
This product also has an oil free pump like the other ones. So you do not have to go through the hassle to change the oils. Instead, it gives the product a long lasting quality. Only 30 pounds of weight and compact design also provides easy portability. Overall this product is quite an ideal choice for budget air compressors.
PORTER CABLE Features:
- Elegant design with a vibrant red color, it will beautifully match your house.
- Max tank pressure 150 PSI, so a large volume of air can fit into the tank
- Operating pressure 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI and 3.7 SCFM at 40 PSI
- Two regulating air couplers allows two users to use it simultaneously
- Oil free pump to avoid changing the oil. Besides it saves the money of motor oil.
- Lightweight and compact design provides easy portability. So you can carry it in your hands.
- Easy maintenance and usage
- Great for nail guns. You can also perform spraying paints with this product.
- Easy start at low amp. So no chance of fusing the circuit or creating a spark. You can start it up pretty easily in cold weather.
How Air Compressor Works In 2020
Despite having a complex structure mechanism, an air compressor works pretty simply. It has several parts that take part to complete the action. An air compressor usually works by drawing air into the machine. The outside air enters and gets pressurized by the compressor.
This created pressure then lets the air complete the task you are intending. Like if you are using a nail gun, the pressure intensifies to shoot the nail. On the other hand, it lets a product spread evenly on a surface. Like a spray painter, or even an inflator works by this mechanism. Although the mechanism will depend on the type of compressor you use. You need to get different sized air compressor for different purposes.
After finishing its job, the pressurized air exits through a drain valve or into a storage tank. Different air compressors have different tank sizes to allow you to use the air accordingly. This stored air can be used later or you can release it if you want.
Another important part of the air pressure mechanism is pressure. You must seen some PSI & CFM specification on every air compressor. PSI elaborates to Pound per Square Inch. It indicates how pressurized the air when it goes into the compressor.
There are two types of pressure metrics in air compressor. One is tank pressure and one is operating pressure. Tank pressure means on which pressure the air remains within the tank. If an air compressor has a max tank pressure of 150 PSI, that means it can store the air in up to 150 PSI.
Another metric is operating pressure, that means in which pressure the tank is filling. If the operating pressure of a compressor is 90 PSI, that means the motor fills up the tank on 90 PSI. So they are pretty simple to count.
CFM is also another important metric for air compressors. The elaboration of CFM is Cubic Feet per Minute. It means in which rate your storage tank is filling. The greater the CFM is, the faster your tank gets filled. So we would recommend buying the ones with high CFM.
So an air compressor isn’t as complex as it seems. You do not have to be a professional to use an air compressor. So worry not and buy an air compressor if you are planning to get one.
Why Should You Buy An Air Compressor Under 200?
The main reason to buy an air compressor at this price because it’s inexpensive. Traditional or professional air compressors can cost you as much as ten thousand dollars. You obviously won’t get the same outcome from those two. But the inexpensive ones still can provide a pretty great result on the small household jobs.
Besides, the cheaper air compressor has a simpler mechanism. So you can easily operate it even if you are not experienced. You can also operate it without much expertise.
Another reason for buying an air compressor is its versatility. Every house has some nuts and bolts tasks to implement. You need an air compressor even if you’re doing a DIY project. Using up nailer, spraying paints or inflating tires, using an air compressor indeed makes all of these literally a breeze. You just need the air compressor of the right size. So buying an air compressor can give more than you expect.
What To Consider Before Buying An Air Compressor Under 200?
Buying an air compressor in this budget is indeed tricky. Because not all the products in this range aren’t that good. But you can still manage to get a high end product even in this price range. Here’s a guide on the things you should check before buying an air compressor:
Obviously, the first criterion should be the price. Because you can find an air compressor on literally every budget. Fix your budget to look for the air compressors according to it. Just remember, higher the budget means higher the specs.
The size of your air compressor is another important thing to consider. It obviously depends on which purpose you want to buy the air compressor. You can check out our post on best air compressor under 500 dollars to get an idea of what size air compressor you need.
Some of the air compressors can deliver more than one-service. For example, you can certainly use the same air compressor for nailing or spraying paints. Check out the specification of the air compressor before buying. That way you can obviously get an idea of its various uses.
Another important parameter for choosing the best air compressor is how much noisy it is. An air compressor is obviously going to be noisy for its complex mechanism. But some of them can lower it by following a different feature. Like the air compressors with an oil pump motor are supposed to be less noisy. You should use a less noisy air compressor if you do not own a sound proof garage. So we should definitely check the noise level of the compressor before purchasing.
Portability or mobility is another important feature to consider. Because an air compressor is usually a heavy product. Carrying it isn’t as easy as you think. But having a wheel under it will help to transfer it easily. Besides, you can look for some lightweight products if you have to move with your air compressor frequently.
Maintenance is another important measure to consider. Because some of the air compressors are not easy to operate. Usually, the compressors with oil free motors provide more comfort than the others. Because you do not have to change the oils. So you can easily skip the hassle. You should really choose the products that aren’t that tough to operate.
So these are the things you should consider before buying an air compressor. If you still find it hard to choose a product, you can trust us and buy one of the products we suggested.
Frequently Asked Questions
✅ How much psi do I need for an air compressor?
We suggest to buy an air compressor with 30 to 120 PSI for all purpose use. You can go higher depending on the budget.
✅ Is a higher CFM a better air compressor?
Higher CFM means faster recovery. If you want to complete your task fast, get an air compressor with a higher CFM.
✅ What is the difference between PSI and CFM?
PSI stands for Pound per Square Inch and CFM means Cubic Feet per Minute. The first one is for pressure where the later one is for volume.
✅ What size air compressor is best for home use?
It depends on which purpose you use the compressor. An air compressor with a 4-6 CFM at 40-120 PSI is indeed great for home use.
✅ How many CFM do I need to run air tools?
In our opinion, 4-6 CFM is enough to run air tools with an air compressor.
To sum up, the California Air Tools Steel Tank Air Compressor is our choice for the best air compressor under 200 dollars. This product has an incredible range of features and the performance was indeed top notch. It certainly has all purpose uses. So you do not have to waste money on buying air compressors for other uses. Super quiet running and power packed performance made it our favorite product in this category.
So there goes our list of top air compressors under 200. All of these products were able to live up to our expectations hence making it to the list. What’s your choice for favorite budget air compressor? Let us know. Happy working!